Forums

Topic: David Johnston  (Read 285783 times)

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

David Johnston

« on: October 02, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »
Just sending the word  for everybody  who hasn't already been made aware...

I talked with Linda Johnston a little bit ago.  David passed away in his sleep early in the morning hours.  She said he requested to be cremated and receive no funeral service, and have his ashes scattered, so there is no gathering planned at this time.  They are talking about a possible memorial this next spring, but will let everybody know.  Right now is very early on, so not many details.

I am honestly at a loss for words.  He was a mentor and a great friend who I will miss everyday.  I will truly miss our conversations.  All of my prayers to Linda and their family. 

Instead of a bunch of sorrowful words (that would just get him aggravated), I'd like for anybody who would be willing to take a few moments and share your favorite story if you have one.  I have so many, and at the moment am trying to deal with the loss of such a friend and influence in my life.  So, as soon as I can gather myself, I will do the same.

R.I.P., my old friend.  You are already missed, more than  you would ever know.

Offline travisyoung

Re: David Johnston

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »
Known of him for many years,  serviced  some of my cars before I had any idea what I was doing, always a great conversation on the forums,  he will be missed.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:41:23 AM »
Wow, I am just so sad at this moment...
I have only know David for the past 6 years through this forum, and I feel as though I have lost a dear friend.
It is rare to find someone who just gives like David did.
We may have called him "Godfather", but he was more like a "Grandfather" to this forum.
I will miss our impromptu conversations when I was at a loss as what to do.
He truly loved helping people.
Rest in peace my friend, you will be truly missed by so many people on so many levels.

-Till we meet again.
KC
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:44:22 AM by ASBug »

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 12:50:01 PM »
 :'(   I'm never good with words in these situations.  For now, all I can say is that I thank the good lord for giving me the opportunity to know him.  I've met a lot of very inteligent people in my life, but David was one of those rare individuals that was not only inteligent, but wise as well.  Every time I've had conversation with him over the years I walked away amazed at his vast knowledge, his insight into situations and his unique sense of humor.  David, if you can see the forum from there, I'd just like to say rest in peace my friend.  Hope to see you on the other side someday.  Until then I gonn'a miss you.

Pray for Linda and their family.   :'(

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 06:46:16 PM »
Whats all this moping around for? The old man wouldn't approve!

He has crossed where many good Dashers have gone before him; he will be in good company.

Tons of great memories, many of which are well documented on this forum. He will not be forgotten. He's still around in the minds of everyone that he tutored in mechanicing. I could have bought and engine for Bonnie, or even ran the one I had for a while, but I wouldn't trade those evenings he spent choking me out with smoke and filling my ears with "Why?!?! You don't need it!"s and torque specs of "Tight. Tight tight." Good lessons learned.

Offline Smelly_Cat

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
You was one funny son of a gun.  Miss ya Man. Thanks for helping this bone head. SC

Offline Anthony

• In front of the computer

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:14:10 PM »
Many don't know this, but David was a big part of the Formula Vee racing scene as a crew chief, mechanic, and (a couple of times) driver. He gave me so much good advice as I was starting my racing activities, and after I thought I knew what I was doing. There isn't a single club member that hasn't been touched by his humor and wisdom. He was also a musician and music lover. We had many good talks about that. I miss him horribly already. We'll never forget the things you taught us!

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »
Truly  sorry to hear about it. He was a great guy and one of the few that got my brand of rough humor. About everything I know about a VW came from David. Except that crazy lowering stuff I blame Rick for that. There was no better guy around than The Godfather. I spent quite a bit of time out in the garage at his place when I lived in TN. He was a wealth of knowledge and a wise bird. Probably kept me from going fully ballistic  more than once.... And the totties twernt bad either. Hell I loved the fella like my own grampa and he didn't shoot me with the musket for lowering a T34 so I assume he liked me a bit...or he ran out of ammo launching it all towards the Triangle. I'll miss ya David,give em hell.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 11:23:18 PM »
He was also a musician and music lover.

And has wasn't just a musician, he was a VERY GOOD musician.  At some point in time, (I'm thinking it was the late 50's or early 60's, David performed live on a Saturday night radio show hosted by WSM, an AM station out of Nashville, TN.  You might have heard of the show; The Grand Ole Opry.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
The kids and I want to thank everyone for their love and prayers.  David would have loved these comments!!  I will, eventually, be able to call and talk with some of you.  Right now, my voice is completely gone.  Please continue to keep all of us in your thoughts and prayers.
Linda Johnston

Offline Aircooled Werk

• Club Member
  • Ringgold, Ga
    • Aircooled Werk

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 08:47:03 PM »
I only knew David for a few years and what great years! I could always call him with a question and he sure would provide an answer. May he rest in peace!

Offline Russ

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 08:25:05 AM »
Things won't be the same without the Godfather keeping us on our toes and stirring up the forums. He was always happy to share his tremendous experience with us and I know we all learned a thing or two from him, myself included.

I called Fred last week and let him know. He and Shannon and Rachel send their best. Thank you Linda, and please keep in touch!

Offline Bigdummy

• Club Member
  • Ft Worth , Texas

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 07:26:27 PM »
As some of you know , I built the Garagmahall for David,so we spent some quality time together .The last time I spoke to David he told me that he has enjoyed the shop more than he could tell me . I have a special place in my heart for all of you guys. David and I discussed a lot of things about my life that weren't good memories. He helped me to understand that you cant control some of the things that happen to you in your life. I will never forget his sence of humor and way of making you feel like you mattered. He will be missed by my family and I . Rest easy my friend and know you were loved..........

Fred,Shannon and Ray ray
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:31:22 PM by Bigdummy »

Offline USAYGO

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 10:12:38 PM »
My father called me with the news of his passing that morning and it still hasn't sunk in..

"Dave" as I always called him, has a very special place in my heart and just like he was to many of you, he was a great mentor to me. I was born and raised just down the street from him and he was one of those people that I always knew. The fact that he was a neighbor and my fathers passion for VW's is surely what started this relationship.

As soon as I was big enough for my parents to let me take off on my bicycle, I would have to go see what Dave was working on.. Often times he would sit me on top of his tool box and let me watch what he was doing while I asked a million questions. He always answered my many questions and "fueled the fire" at the same time- knowing that I would just come back the next day to ask a million more. It eventually got to the point to where when it was dark and I wasn't home, my mother would call his house looking for me. Aside from all of the neat mechanical things that he always had going, he also had one of the greatest dogs ever- his Golden Retriever "Evan" and since my mother wouldn't let me have my own, I adopted his and have many fond memories of him as well. Just like VW's, this is exactly why I have such a passion for Golden Retrievers and have two of them right now.

Needless to say, I was always intrigued and inspired by his attention to detail and ability to restore anything mechanical. He always inspired me to take the next step and to take the time to do things right. Later on I was fortunate enough to work with him at Lockharts VW where I got to experience all of these things first hand - including his can of "bus be gone" :)

I will also never forget the last time I went to him when I was at a mechanical "dead end". I had decided that I wanted a transmission rebuilt and really didn't know anyone who could rebuild my watercooled 5-speed trans the way I would want it done. He basically told me that after all I had forced myself to learn, why would I want to stop with transmissions?.. and If I wanted it done to my satisfaction, I would have to do it myself :) In his words transmission rebuilding was the "final frontier". Needless to say, I am very glad I did do it myself and transmission rebuilding is something that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

I could go on and on with the memories...

Chris
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:20:32 AM by Russ »

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 09:01:08 AM »
I was looking for something I have stored on my hard drive and ran across a folder of pictures I hadn't seen in a while and thought I'd share this one . . . 

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks