Forums

Topic: David Johnston  (Read 285797 times)

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

Re: David Johnston

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2014, 12:01:46 AM »
wow. That snuck up on me. I miss his ability to stir the pot and keep this forum humming!

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2015, 11:10:27 PM »
Lookie what I found!!!!!   Fast forward to about 4 minutes . . . and again at about 18:45

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:00:42 PM by Russ »

Offline Ret.Bugtech

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2015, 08:03:49 AM »
Zen, you're the best.  You amaze me that you can find all these!!!

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2015, 09:07:28 AM »
Zen, you're the best.  You amaze me that you can find all these!!!

That one found me!  I saw that Little Jimmy Dickens has passed away and I wanted to post one of his old songs on Facebook.  I searched for "I'm Little But I'm Loud" and posted the link to it on facebook with a comment.  After the video played, it showed links to a bunch of other Grand Ole Opry videos.  I saw the name Walter Forbes in the description of one and thought to myself "Who was he?" . . . I recognized the name but couldn't remember who he was or what he sang, so I watched the video.  I've said many times if I had a time machine, one thing I would do would be go back in time and watch David perform on the Grand Ole Opry . . . It's not exactly a time machine, but pretty close!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:10:28 AM by Zen »

Offline Russ

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »
That was great!

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2015, 03:37:24 PM »
Cool

Offline Ret.Bugtech

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2015, 07:09:41 AM »
Zen, when you find that time machine, let me know!!!!  This is pretty close, though.  I wish they had the video of when they played the Opry and Walter blew on a horn and sprayed powder over the first few rows.  That was my favorite story.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2015, 08:02:56 AM »
I would say there is a pretty good chance that every performance was filmed or video taped . . . if it was and it still exist, somewhere along the line whoever has it might put it on YouTube.  We'll keep searching from time to time.  There's no telling what might turn up.   8)   On the time machine . . . Marty McFly traveled to 2015 in one of the Back to the Future movies.  If you see a Delorean with a flux capacitor in back, stop him!

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2015, 06:35:54 PM »
I did some research. I have not yet found the video of the powder horn going off, but I did find a lot of references to it!!! On Walter Frobes' website, it said he played that song 21 times at the Opry and 19 times got an encore. It sounded like he had a rotating crew that backed him up and a Norman guy often took David's place.

I'll keep digging and see what I can find.

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2015, 08:58:05 AM »
Channeling the Godfather this past week for sure... I do miss my old friend and mentor.

In the past 7 days, I have dismantled two terminal air-cooled engine blocks.

The first, a 1600 upright from a late model bus.  Note to everyone... make sure you use the conversion engine surround pieces that are available out there, lest your engine overheat, and instantly apply the non-dealer option of the external connecting rod....

Second, an 1800 type IV, again, late model bus.  No compression causing a miss on one cylinder...  I pulled the head, found the battered piston dome, cylinder head chamber, and embedded metal chunks from the part of the carburetor butterfly that let go.  But then, realized that wasn't the dead cylinder at all.  That would be the one next to it...  With the pounded out valve seat, and daylight surrounding the intake valve.

Yeah, didn't see that coming... 

I believe at one point I might have actually mumbled "Oh Good God" when the proud new owner of the second pile spoke about the purchase of said bus, and only after having spent the bunch of money at the body shop on a bondo coating and shiny paint, decided to investigate the non-running Pancake engine...

They never do learn, do they David?

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2016, 06:48:57 PM »
David passed away 3 years ago today.  I still miss my friend.   :'(

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2016, 01:59:20 PM »
I miss his matter of fact knowledge that he bludgeoned us with.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2016, 08:03:14 AM »
I miss the fact that he just knew.
He knew music, mechanics and life.
I didn't call him often, but when I did it was like we had just spoken the day before.
He was a great guy and still missed.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2016, 09:22:46 AM »

And history, and railroading, and politics, and . . . well, it seemed to me like everything!  I've met a lot of wise people in my life, but David was beyond that.  There are people that know a little bit about a whole lot of subjects, but they are usually only an expert on one or two.  I never had a conversation with David that I wasn't blow away be how many things he knew so much about.  And, he had talent to go along with his knowledge.  I wish I had spent more time with him.

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 09:37:24 AM »

And history, and railroading, and politics, and . . . well, it seemed to me like everything!  I've met a lot of wise people in my life, but David was beyond that.  There are people that know a little bit about a whole lot of subjects, but they are usually only an expert on one or two.  I never had a conversation with David that I wasn't blow away be how many things he knew so much about.  And, he had talent to go along with his knowledge.  I wish I had spent more time with him.

I spent a lot of time with him.  "Stop by here when you get a minute"....  3 hours later... haha.

I loved our conversations, and our massive collection of shared interests.

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks