Forums

Topic: 1979 Dasher Project - $300 or Best Offer  (Read 18335 times)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

1979 Dasher Project - $300 or Best Offer

« on: September 30, 2012, 05:24:50 PM »
I've finally decided that I'm never going to do anything with my Dasher.  Despite their reputation as a POS right off the assembly line, I actually enjoyed the two or three years I drove this car.  It has less that 100,000 original miles.  It was owned for many years by a little old lady who only drove it to the grocery store and drug store once a week.  I hate to drag it across the scales for scrap.

For your money you will get one 4 Door Dasher hatchback with a bunch of problems and a bunch of parts to fix some of those problems.  It had a few issues before the head gasket gave up the ghost, but it was my daily driver right up until that point.  I never let it run hot, it just started loosing water somewhere and I could not find a leak.  The last time I drove it, it took two gallons of water to get from Ringgold to LaFayette so I parked it and ordered a head gasket set, new head bolts and washers.  It's been sitting ever since (I think it was 3 years this past April).  Sometime along the way the engine has stuck from sitting.  It may need a complete overhaul, or you may be able to free it with a little PB blaster when you get the head off of it.  If you can, it comes with a new head gasket set and head bolts and washers . . . It might be possible to get it back on the road for just the labor.

Automatic transmission worked fine when it was parked.  Brake and tires were good too.  But, it's been sitting . . .

Interior is (at leat was) fair for an orginal 33 year old interior.  But it's been sitting for a while . . .

One of the struts was completely shot when I got it.  I bought brand new strut cartridges, bump stops and dust covers . . . but drove it with the busted shock and never installed them.  They go wth the car.

On the brakes, there was one issue.  The left rear brake would tighten up when you tried to back up.  I tore them down twice and never figured out what the probem was.  I replaced the shoes and wheel cylinders.

I put front tires on it and Wal-Mart overtorqued the right front wheel and screwed up the threads in the hub.  I got three of them straighened out with a tap, but got the tap hung in the forth hole . . . so it's got 3 lug bolts and a broken off tap on that wheel.  I bought a new hub and whell bearing but never installed them.  They will go with the car IF I can find them.

Things I did to the car while I had it:  Installed a brand new radiator, a new water pump, new front engine seals (crank, cam and intermediate shaft), new timing belt, new heater control valve.

I've also got a new CV axle for one side and two or three throttle cables (didn't really need them, but they were dirt cheap from a place that was going out of business).

I'd like to get $300 out of it . . . but if it will get it gone, I'll take less.  (David, if you want it, I'll GIVE it to you!)   ;D   I'll get some up-to-date pictures soon.  It's down at my cabin and I'm not . . . the only ones I have were made when I bought it so those are the ones I'm posting.  Somebody save this thing from the crusher!!!!   :vw:

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

Re: 1979 Dasher Project - $300 or Best Offer

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »
Title?
If so, I'm interested.
KC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »
No, I got a TN title when I bought it, but it wasn't notarized.  The lady at the tag said because it was from another state, I could not apply for a title unless I went back and got it notarized.   I went ahead and registered it and got a tag because I needed to drive it.  The TN title is still around here somewhere, but I haven’t seen it in years . . . and since I registered it without a title, I don’t think GA will issue one anyway.  At least that’s what they told me at the tag office back then. :(

Offline Russ

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »
Somebody save this thing! Dashers are cool!

Offline Ret.Bugtech

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 10:46:01 PM »
Somebody save this thing! Dashers are cool!
Give it to Russ. Later we will see if he still thinks it cool ;D ;D  A true test

Offline Russ

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »
Let's do it. I got a nice Turbo Diesel motor I can put in it 8)

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 11:21:19 PM »
I wouldn't mind making the triangle into a square. Do you have a copy of the last registration? That and a notary will get me a title!

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 11:28:04 PM »
Do you have a copy of the last registration?

Do I have it, or can I find it?  Those are two very different questions.  Yes I have it.  I also have the old TN title!  I have no idea where ether are located.  I "think" the tag receipt is in the glovebox.  I'll do down tomorrow after work and look . . . and make some new pictures.

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 11:39:18 PM »
Is the entire emissions system still there? As in, does it have a catalytic converter? Is it fuel injected or carbed? Just the secondary questions relating to owning it in Chattanooga.

Offline Russ

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 11:40:29 PM »
Nick, antique tag it and you'll be exempt from emissions.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 12:08:38 AM »
It's fuel injected.  As far as I know, the entire stock exhaust is still on it.  It's missing a rubber band or two on the rear tail pipe hanger(s) and the tail pipe is hanging down, and there is a small hole in the exhaust manifold where two pipes join up that needs to be welded shut.

By the way, it has air conditioning!  The complete system is on it, and if I remember correctly, it seems like it still had some pressure on it, but I was told the compressor was bad . . . it was unplugged when I got it and I left it that way.

I also found a complete fuse block for it.  When I got it, the fuel pump was wired to a toggle switch.  I think these were notorious for burning out something on the circuit board in the fuse block and cutting the power to fuel pump relay.  I removed the toggle switch and wired in a relay under the hood.

Somewhere I have a shop manual for it too.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 12:11:32 AM »
Oh, yeah, the thing I liked most about driving this thing was the gas mileage.  It would average in the high 20's around town, and hit 30 or slightly better on the road.

Offline Russ

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 12:12:39 AM »
Oh, yeah, the thing I liked most about driving this thing was the gas mileage.  It would average in the high 20's around town, and hit 30 or slightly better on the road.

Oh man. Imagine what this thing could do after Smelly Cat got a hold of it.

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 12:59:22 AM »
If I antique tag it, I can't drive it all the time!!!

But it does open up some options!

Offline Ret.Bugtech

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 08:25:41 AM »
If I antique tag it, I can't drive it all the time!!!

But it does open up some options!
Not to worry. You won't be driving it all the time. The electrical system in those cars were horrible. I had to put a toggle switch on my BRAND NEW '76 to get the fuel pump to run. It took VW 2 years to admit they had a big problem. The cheap ass fuse panel was laughable along with the engine that had a crankshaft that was overlapped on the rod journals and knocked and banged all the time. VW sent oversized brg's to the dealer to fix your brand new car. It worked sometime. The automatic trans. would skip 2nd gear and go straight to 3rd gear then downshift to 2nd gear a few sec's later. Oh, almost forgot the 2 head gaskets in 18,000 miles and a new A/C comp. I traded a'74 Dasher with 28,000 for the '76 . It was almost as bad as the '76. NOW ask me why I hate those things. Really to bad for they were comfy to drive and handled and drove great.  If you just have to have one, You start with jerking the whole power train and electrical system out and start over ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:37:33 AM by Ret.Bugtech »

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks