Forums

Topic: Finally Got One! Wooo Hooo!!!  (Read 55901 times)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Re: Finally Got One! Wooo Hooo!!!

« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2014, 09:19:14 PM »
Yep.  Got a couple more "projects" that I'll probably never work on.  One is a Briggs 8B . . . I think it just needs points.  I've got experiance with this engine. It's the same model that's on my Snappin' Turtle, but it's a few years newer. This one is dated November 1962.  It has a really weird spark plug.   ???   If I can get a camera to work, I'll make some pictures of it tomorrow.

The other "project" that followed my home is Nick's fault.  I saw it, but I assumed it was out of my price range and didn't look for the price sticker.  Nick told me it was $50 . . . $25 today because everything is half price.  So, I'm the proud owner of a 1950 or 51 Johnson Seahorse TN26 5hp outboard motor.  It has compression and the fuel system seems to be OK . . . it doesn't seem to have a spark.  Shouldn't be too hard to figure out and get it going.  When I get it running I'll need a small vintage boat . . . and a trailer to pull it on . . .

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2014, 09:34:56 PM »
I also got another new project today.  Well, at least I unboxed it today.  It was delivered a couple of days ago.  This one started out one night when I was board started looking at eVILBay.  I ran across a deal on backing plate and flywheel for a Maytag.  It was listed By It Now at a price that's about 20% of what they normally go for.  Didn't need it, but figured I'd never run across one that cheap again so I bought it for my Maytag parts stash.  When it came, I was shocked to find out that the backing plate was complete with the points, condensor and coil and the flywheel still had a good magnet and governor installed in it.  I thought WOW, what a deal!  Obviously this guy didn't know what these parts typically sell for.  Then a couple of weeks ago, the guy sends me an email saying he unboxed some more stuff he bought at that estate sale where the flywheel came from and there are some Maytag parts . . . would I be interested in them.  Sure.  What'cha got and what do you want for them?  He sent a picture of several parts and said 50 bucks.  There was probably 100 bucks worth of parts in the picture, so I had him send me a paypal invoice and bought them.  When I unboxed the stuff this morning it's basically a dis-assembled Maytag 92, minus the gas tank, backing plate and flywheel.  Well, I just happen to have a backing plate and flywheel.  And I've got an extra gasket set.  Just need a tank and it will be a running engine!

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #212 on: October 05, 2014, 09:47:18 PM »
Cool,  the out board caught my eye

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #213 on: October 06, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »
I went back today for 70% off. The lawn mower was gone, but I have a bird house now.

a very LARGE bird house.

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #214 on: October 06, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
Pics

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »
That'll buff right out...

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2014, 05:32:14 PM »
That thing was large

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2014, 05:58:54 PM »
It's huge! And it has a rotten base. The metal is a little rusty on that one edge but it gives it tons of character. I actually bought it for my mother's booth. We'll see how it does
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:21:37 PM by volksnick »

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #218 on: October 07, 2014, 09:33:10 AM »
Nick,
You are having gravity issues again...
KC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #219 on: October 07, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »
That birdhouse is cool!!!    8)   I thought about getting it . . . Then when I looked at the size of the Kia's hatch as I was loading up the outboard, I decided I better not.  I know I could have strapped it down to the roof, but as was looking at the size of hatch I saw the look on Joy's face when she realized I was loading up the outboard.  I figured I was in deep enough and I better not push my luck.   ;)

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
Apparently my phone likes to flip pictures... I have no idea how it happens, but sometimes it works, other times it doesn't!

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2014, 04:03:07 PM »
Got the Johnson going!  I've still got work to do on it, but all it took to get it running was adjusting the points and plug gaps to spec.

I've got a short video of it on facebook . . .maybe this link will work:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=866354273377229&set=vb.100000079930323&type=2&theater

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks